Laundry Talk Tuesday...The Great Debate

by - Wednesday, January 31, 2018


The Great Debate Top Loader vs Front Loader

 
top vs front loader
 

I recently did a Facebook Poll of my friends/family and was surprised to see that many of them preferred a top loader to a front loader.

 
 
My family has owned laundry mats for the past 40 years and overtime seen the shift from customers and personal friends using top loaders to converting to front loaders over the past 10 years. Today it seems that in Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, etc. you tend to see more front loaders and this is the new trend in washers/dryers.

 

My parents personally own top loaders and always have. I owned a top loader the first 8 years of my marriage and recently switched this year. We now have a front loader and I have been very happy with. My main complaint with my top loader was how long a cycle took, knowing water was essentially just standing in the tub for a long period of time and how loud it was when going into the spin cycle. If you have ever noticed top loaders tend to shake, rattle and roll as I like to call it on the spin cycle. This is typically due to being overloaded. I will never forget one of the first arguments I had with my husband. He decided to wash about 12 pairs of jeans in one load the machine was unbalanced and wouldn’t finish the cycle. He argued with me saying it could handle the load as I shifted the jeans around to balance the machine again. I walked away saying, “my family has been in the business 40 years I know what I am taking about.”

 

With top loaders you have the advantage of being able to

 
Soak your clothes before the cycle begins

Adding items to you cycle

Life expectancy and cost of repairs is less

Purchase price is less

 

With front loaders you have the advantages of


Much gentler wash cycles

Water and energy savings, they use far less water

Detergent savings, you don’t need as much

front vs top water usage
 

Front loaders have a different washing action, which tumbles your clothes in an up and down motion similar to hand washing. Top loaders use a central agitator which moves your clothes in a circle and causes more wear and tear of clothes getting caught.

The main complaint I hear with front loaders is the smell! With some extra care you can eliminate these smells. The main causes of the smells are the humidity that stays in the washer. We are used to leaving the lid of a top loader open and this remains true for a front loader, keep the door open. Because of the lower water level in a front loader you may see excess grime and dirt build up. To prevent this from happening follow these simple steps...

Leave the door and dispenser unit open after the laundry is done

Never leave a wet load in the washer overnight or for several hours

After a load is done rotate the drum with you hand, things could stick to the top and sides of the washer drum

Use softener sheets in the dryer vs using fabric softener in the washer

Liquid detergent is better than powered formulas

Dry the washer door and seal after each load

You can also buy products like afresh to run though the cycle

I personally prefer to turn my machine to the sanitize cycle and run some vinegar though it when I notice a smell. I have had my personal front loader since March and have never noticed a strong smell from it.

Front loaders spin your cycle much faster which allows you to cut your dry time exponentially.
 

Which do you prefer and why?


 

You May Also Like

2 comments